DUSHANBE, December 17, 2011, Asia-Plus — At least 10 people have been killed as striking oil workers clashed with government forces in a city in western Kazakhstan, Kazakh officials said on December 16.
According to international media outlets, the clashes occurred when police tried to clear the city square, occupied by the workers for more than six months. They are demanding better pay, but their action has been declared illegal.
Police reportedly moved in to clear the square early on Friday morning for independence celebrations but were charged by the oil workers.
An eyewitness told the BBC police had opened fire on the unarmed protesters and one man died in her arms from a shot to the chest.
Speaking to reporters in Astana, Kazakhstan”s General Prosecutor Askhat Daulbayev said on December 16 that a number of buildings including local government offices, a hotel and the office of the state oil company were set on fire, Preliminary information indicated 10 deaths, with police officers among the injured, he added. “Civilians, who had gathered in the main square to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the country”s independence, were attacked by a group of hooligans,” Kazakh chief prosecutor said. Some yurts and a portable stage erected for Independence Day were destroyed, the prosecutor said.
The Kazakh opposition TV channel K-Plus showed what appeared to be the beginning of the unrest, with oil workers running on to the stage, tipping over speakers and pushing officials before police arrived.
Mr. Daulbayev added that a criminal investigation had been opened into the disturbances, which had resulted from “criminal actions.”
A team of investigators led by Interior Minister Kalmukhanbet Kasymov had flown to the city to “identify and punish the organizers,” he said.
According to the BBC, Vladimir Kozlov, leader of an unregistered opposition party, said the longevity of the protest had annoyed the authorities. “The fact that the people have been standing on the square for seven months and not leaving irritates them,” he told K-Plus. “They haven”t used DDT [pesticide] yet, but they have tried all other means. They are still standing. This irritates the authorities the most.”
Oil workers at the Ozenmunaigas oil field, which employs the Zhanaozen workers, have higher than average salaries, but strike organizers say the workers are owed danger money for the tough conditions they work in.
The oil-rich but remote western Mangistau region has seen several cases of industrial action this year, with oil fields responding by sacking hundreds of workers.
Radio Liberty reported on December 17 that Kazakh authorities are reported to have sent troops and armored vehicle reinforcements into Zhanaozen in a bid to reassert control after violence between striking oil workers and government forces reportedly left at least 10 people dead.
In a statement, KazMunaiGas Exploration Production said some Uzenmunaigas employees had failed to show up for work because of safety fears arising from the violence.
The statement, quoted by the Reuters news agency, said Kazakhstan”s Interior Ministry was providing armed security at key oil production units. The statement said the firm was maintaining daily oil production levels by keeping employees working round-the-clock.
Interior Minister Kalmukhanbet Kasymov who has arrived in the city said the situation in Zhanaozen is under control and around 70 people have been arrested. He said 75 people had been taken to hospital and six police officers were among the injured.
Kazakh Internet users have reportedly been unable to open independent news websites or Twitter, and phone service to the region was said to be disrupted, Radio Liberty said.



