DUSHANBE, October 20, 2008, Asia-Plus — 107 natural disasters have occurred in the country over the first nine months of this year, killing 18 people, Chairman of the Committee for Emergency Situations (CES) Khaibullo Latipov announced at a press conference in Dushanbe on October 20
According to him, a damage caused by natural disasters that have occurred in the country over the report period has been estiamted at 87 million somoni.
Latipov noted that the national disaster preparedness plan and the national natural disaster risk reduction strategy had been worked out this year.
“With support of the British humanitarian organization Oxfam, which helps prepare communities to cope with natural disasters, we have conducted exercises for 190 rescuers in Kulob,” the CES head said Under support Helping prepare communities to cope with natural disasters
Besides, with support of international non-government organizations Hilsverg-Austria (phonetically spelled), 200 rescuers and servicemen of the CES have taken the rapid disaster response training, Latipov said.



