UN seeks $7 billion in record humanitarian aid for 2009

DUSHANBE, November 20, 2008, Asia-Plus  — The United Nations on Wednesday launched its largest ever aid appeal, saying it will need 7 billion US dollars to help 30 million people in 31 countries during 2009, according to the UN News Center. The Humanitarian Appeal 2009 is the largest since the creation of the so-called Consolidated […]

Payrav Chorshanbiyev

DUSHANBE, November 20, 2008, Asia-Plus  — The United Nations on Wednesday launched its largest ever aid appeal, saying it will need 7 billion US dollars to help 30 million people in 31 countries during 2009, according to the UN News Center.

The Humanitarian Appeal 2009 is the largest since the creation of the so-called Consolidated Appeals Process in 1991, with Sudan accounting for more than a quarter of all intended funds, the UN said in a statement.

The appeal comprises twelve consolidated appeals for the Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq and its region, Kenya, the Palestinian territories, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, the West African region, and Zimbabwe, the UN said.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged countries to give generously to the appeal despite the economic crisis.  “The global financial crisis has raised inevitable concerns that there could be a decline in humanitarian funding in 2009. I urge member states and private donors not to let that happen,” Ban said in a foreword to the appeal.

The need for aid will be even greater in 2009 than 2008 due to the global food crisis, the effects of climate change and the persistence of long-running conflicts, he said.  “As stabilization is the watchword in turbulent economic times, so must stability be our goal in helping desperate victims of conflict, natural disasters and extreme hardship,” he added.

Ban”s point was echoed by the UN”s chief humanitarian official John Holmes who said the target would not place too great a burden on rich countries.  “The seven billion dollars that we seek equates to, for every $100 of national income in rich countries, only a few cents of aid,” he said.

We will recall that last year, the United Nations made an appeal for $3.8 billion for 25 million people, including Tajikistan, for mitigating natural disasters’ effects.  

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана

Most Read

Recent Articles

The price per square meter of housing in Vahdat increases by almost 28% – Somon.tj

According to Somon.tj analytics, suburbs and regional cities are starting to grow faster than the capital, and the volume of offers in Dushanbe has reached record levels.

Tajikistan proposes to hold International Markhor Day in Dushanbe in 2027

Tajikistan informed the UN that the population of the markhor in the country has increased from 300 to over 7,000 individuals and proposed to hold the International Markhor Day in 2027 in Dushanbe.

What did the victims of the mudslide in Kulob receive?

A correspondent from "Asia-Plus" spoke with several families affected by the natural disaster in Kulob.

A suspect in violence against a minor detained in Dushanbe

A previously convicted suspect lured a teenager into a basement and subjected him to violence.

Seven threats to water, land, and the future of Central Asia

From water scarcity and glacier melting to air pollution and food risks — Central Asia must seek ways to jointly address these issues.

Uzbekistan to raise electricity and gas rates

Electricity for the population in Uzbekistan will become more expensive than in Tajikistan, but relative to income, the burden on families in the neighboring republic is lower.

‘Asia-Plus is a positive image of Tajikistan and a tool for forming a full-fledged nation’ says Tajik scientist

A Tajik diplomat explained the significance of "Asia-Plus" for the government and why it should be bold.