Interior ministry does not have information about attack on home of jailed IRPT member

The Interior Ministry reportedly does not have information about an incident that took place outside the home of the jailed activist of the Islamic Revival Party of Tajikistan (IRPT), Rahmatullo Rajab, in Dushanbe yesterday evening. Ozodagon news agency reports that a group of young people pelted Rahmatullo Rajab’s house with eggs and burned portraits and […]

Asia-Plus

The Interior Ministry reportedly does not have information about an incident that took place outside the home of the jailed activist of the Islamic Revival Party of Tajikistan (IRPT), Rahmatullo Rajab, in Dushanbe yesterday evening.

Ozodagon news agency reports that a group of young people pelted Rahmatullo Rajab’s house with eggs and burned portraits and posters in front of the home yesterday evening.

“Nobody has applied to the Interior Ministry on this subject and nobody has complained,” Umarjon Emomali, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, told Asia-Plus in an interview today morning.

“We have heard about this incident for the first time,” the spokesman added.

Meanwhile, Ozodagon says similar actions had also been carried out outside the homes of the jailed deputy IRPT leader Saidumar Husaini and the late leader of the IRPT Said Abdullo Nuri. 

The youth activists reportedly asserted that children of Husain and Nuri had participated in a silent protest in Warsaw.

According to EurasiaNet.org, some youth activists also burned images of IRPT leader Muhiddin Kabiri outside the home of his 95-year-old father.

As it had been reported earlier, some 20 Tajik opposition and rights activists residing in Europe held a silent protest in Warsaw on September 19 during the OSCE conference session where the situation of human rights in Tajikistan was being discussed.

The protesters wore T-shirts with portraits of Tajik opposition politicians and lawyers who were jailed in the country in recent months.  Human rights groups have called the cases politically motivated.

Tajikistan’s official delegation reacted to the barrage of criticism by demonstratively walking out of the ODIHR conference.  “The representatives of organizations banned in Tajikistan started harassing and putting pressure on our delegation from the very first days [of the conference]. Because of this intimidation, three journalists left the event and civil society representatives generally avoided contact with them and did not even participate in side events,” the Tajik delegation said in a statement.

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Tenisi
Оби зулол
Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана

Most Read

Recent Articles

Tajikistan improves its position in the budget transparency ranking

The level of government financial transparency still remains below the international standard.

Wildberries invites entrepreneurs of Tajikistan to business meeting in Dushanbe

Participants will be able to learn about opportunities for entering the largest marketplace, online sales tools, and the prospects for e-commerce development in the region.

Chinese ambassador: “A new chapter of comprehensive strategic cooperation has begun in China-Tajikistan relations”

A press conference was held in Dushanbe by Chinese Ambassador Guo Zhijun following Emomali Rahmon's state visit to China.

Cement prices in Tajikistan surge amid shortages and supply disruptions

The construction materials market is in turmoil due to plant repairs, high demand, and increased exports to Afghanistan.