Russia warns it may shoot down U.S. jets if they attack Syrian forces

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman says Russian air defense forces based in Syria are ready to shoot down US aircraft and missiles attacking the Syrian military if they believe the lives of Russian personnel are threatened. A statement by Major-General Igor Konashenkov, in particular, notes that “most officers of the Russian Center for Reconciliation of the […]

Asia-Plus

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman says Russian air defense forces based in Syria are ready to shoot down US aircraft and missiles attacking the Syrian military if they believe the lives of Russian personnel are threatened.

A statement by Major-General Igor Konashenkov, in particular, notes that “most officers of the Russian Center for Reconciliation of the Warring Parties currently work ‘on the ground,’ delivering humanitarian aid and conducting negotiations with heads of settlements and armed groups in most Syrian provinces.”

That is why any missile or air strikes on the territory under control of the Syrian government, will create an obvious threat for Russian military, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said.

“And finally, I draw attention of ‘hotheads’ that after a strike on Syrian troops in Deir ez-Sor by planes of the coalition on September 17, we have taken all necessary measures to rule out any such ‘mistakes’ against Russian military and military facilities in Syria.” 

The warning by Major-General Igor Konashenkov comes as bilateral ties between Washington and Moscow continue to spiral downwards.  The United States earlier this week announced it was suspending talks with Russia about cooperation on Syria that were aimed at reestablishing a cease-fire that broke down on September 19.

Since the weekend, Russia has deployed S-300 antiaircraft missile systems in Syria, and has sent three warships to the eastern Mediterranean.  Several longer range S-400 antiaircraft systems are also in Syria and mounted on Russian warships off Syria's coast.

The Washington Post reported on October 4 that the Pentagon this week presented U.S. administration officials with several options for possible air strikes against Syrian government forces in response to the offensive on Aleppo.

Speaking at a briefing in Moscow on October 6, Konashenkov said Moscow was worried by The Washington Post report and other similar media reports.

"I would recommend that our colleagues in Washington carefully weigh possible consequences of the fulfillment of such plans," Konashenkov said.

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана
Оби зулол
Tenisi

Most Read

Recent Articles

Chinese ambassador: “A new chapter of comprehensive strategic cooperation has begun in China-Tajikistan relations”

A press conference was held in Dushanbe by Chinese Ambassador Guo Zhijun following Emomali Rahmon's state visit to China.

Cement prices in Tajikistan surge amid shortages and supply disruptions

The construction materials market is in turmoil due to plant repairs, high demand, and increased exports to Afghanistan.

Over 6,000 school graduates in Tajikistan vie for presidential quotas in universities

This year, 1670 applicants will become students through presidential quotas.

Why are millions of Tajikistanis unemployed?

It's not just about unemployment; many able-bodied residents simply do not look for work.

Kyrgyzstan develops pension system for labor migrants without official employment

Kyrgyzstan is developing a mechanism to provide pension support...