Earthquake victims in Rasht relocated, assistance delivered to the population

After the earthquake that occurred on April 13 in the northeast of Tajikistan, 11 people with various injuries, including two  children, from Rasht and Tojikobod districts were admitted to the central hospital of the Rasht district. An official source within the Rasht central district hospital told Asia-Plus Wednesday afternoon that  currently, 8 people remain in […]

Asia-Plus

After the earthquake that occurred on April 13 in the northeast of Tajikistan, 11 people with various injuries, including two  children, from Rasht and Tojikobod districts were admitted to the central hospital of the Rasht district.

An official source within the Rasht central district hospital told Asia-Plus Wednesday afternoon that  currently, 8 people remain in the hospital, and 3 people have already been discharged.  Their condition is considered stable.

"All patients were examined, are under the care of doctors, and at the moment, they are feeling well as they did not suffer serious injuries," the source stated.

It was also reported that medical workers and staff from the Rasht Health Department organized a working group to conduct rounds and check the health condition of those affected by the disaster.

Representatives of the Ministry of Health also delivered all necessary medical supplies to the patients and personally checked their health status.

 

Relocation of the victims

An official within the Population and Territory Protection Department of the Emergencies Committee under the Government of Tajikistan told Asia-Plus that all families affected by the earthquake were relocated to safe areas and settled in tents, receiving material and food assistance.

According to him, working commissions are actively assessing the situation and determining the necessary measures to provide help.

On April 14, an operational headquarters meeting was held in the Rasht district, with the participation of Deputy Prime Minister Sulaimon Ziyozoda, regional administrators and representatives from various organizations.

Currently, representatives of the Geological Service and the Seismology Institute are working at the disaster site, together with the government commissions, to decide on the relocation or construction of new houses.

The Emergencies Committee reported that the damage from the earthquake is still unknown.

On April 15, following the instructions of the President of Tajikistan, humanitarian aid, including food, household goods and building materials, was sent to the affected Rasht and Tojikobod districts,.

As it had been reported earlier, an earthquake of magnitude 5.0-6.0 struck the Rasht Valley (northeastern Tajikistan) on April 13 at 9:24 am with an epicenter 160 kilometers from Dushanbe and 25 kilometers east of Rasht’s administrative center.  The earthquake reportedly resulted in the complete destruction of 94 residential buildings in Rasht and Tojikobod districts.  Dozens of other buildings were partially and lightly damaged.  One person died—a three-year-old child.

A tremor measuring 3.0 on the Richter scale could be felt in Dushanbe.

Four additional tremors were recorded in the Rasht Valley on April 14.

Wednesday morning at 4:15 am, underground tremors of magnitude 3.0 were again felt in Dushanbe and several districts of Tajikistan.  

The epicenter of the 5.6 magnitude earthquake was in the Hindukush region in northern Afghanistan.

According to the Emergencies Committee, an earthquake measuring 4.0 on the Richter scale could be felt in Ishkashim district of the Gorno Badakhshan Autonomous Region (GBAO). 

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана
Оби зулол

Most Read

Recent Articles

By 2034, Central Asia will be more dependent on food imports

The population of the region will have increased by 14.5% by that time.

Somon Air expected to receive new Boeing-737 aircraft as early as the summer of 2026

Expanding the fleet with modern aircraft will improve the quality of passenger service and increase the route network.

Unexplored Khatlon: little-known treasures of southern Tajikistan

We will talk about interesting and unique places that have not yet become objects of mass tourist visits but have all the chances to become so.

Tajik citizens reminded of new entry requirements for travel to Russia

And about registration through the RuID mobile application

Who Most Frequently Takes Bribes in Tajikistan’s Healthcare Sector?

A large-scale survey showed that maternity hospitals most often demand bribes.

New routes and bright impressions: the Second Domestic Tourism Development Festival held in Tajikistan

As part of the festival, a correspondent from "Asia-Plus" set off on the tourist route Dushanbe — Rasht.