Weekly Millat files counter suit against agriculture minister, asking…one somoni in damages

DUSHANBE, February 25, Asia-Plus  — The Dushanbe independent weekly Millat (Nation), against which the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) brought a libel suit in late January, demanding 1 million somoni in damages, has filed a counter suit against a MoA, asking 1.00 (one) somoni in damages. The Millat Zohir Davlat told Asia-Plus that the libel suit […]

Nargis Hamroboyeva

DUSHANBE, February 25, Asia-Plus  — The Dushanbe independent weekly

Millat

(Nation), against which the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) brought a libel suit in late January, demanding 1 million somoni in damages, has filed a counter suit against a MoA, asking 1.00 (one) somoni in damages.

The

Millat

Zohir Davlat told Asia-Plus that the libel suit filed against the weekly by the agriculture ministry is absolutely unfounded and threatens freedom of speech in the country.

In the meantime, the preliminary hearing for the lawsuit filed against

Millat

by the agriculture ministry is expected to begin in the court of Dushanbe’s Firdavsi district today.

We will recall that the agriculture ministry brought the suit against

Millat

on January 28, 2010.  The ministry demands 1 million somoni (equivalent to some 229,000 U.S. dollars) in damages after an article entitled “The Ministry of Agriculture Is the Most Corrupt Establishment” published in the weekly on December 10, 2009 allegedly defamed it.

The weekly editor Davlat Zohir said he was surprised because the offending report, published on December 10, 2009 was “short and purely factual, referring to investigations into corruption within the agriculture ministry that were carried out and published by parliament.”  Moreover, the ministry was accorded the right of reply in this case as well.

The charges against

Millat

come on the heels of a similar case against another publication.  On January 27, a Dushanbe court upheld a verdict on the weekly

Paykon

(Arrowhead), which was found guilty of libel and ordered to pay a $40,000 fine to Tajikstandart (Tajik state agency for standardization, metrology, certification and trade inspection)

We will recall that last month, judicial actions and lawsuits were brought against five independent Tajik newspapers:

Paykon

,

Millat

,

Asia-Plus

,

Ozodagon

, and

Farazh

.

Many international organizations and diplomatic missions as well as Tajik human rights and media organizations have released statements, expressing concern about this situation.  They, in particular, noted that the lawsuits threaten to force these newspapers to cease publication, which would be a serious blow to freedom of the press in Tajikistan.

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана
Tenisi
Оби зулол

Most Read

Recent Articles

Eskhata Bank launches a unique offer for female entrepreneurs of Tajikistan

The bank offers a loan on special, reduced, and flexible terms, including collateral security.

FINCA Tajikistan expands support for women’s business

The company's management emphasizes that this award is the result of the professionalism and dedication of the "Klubi Bonuvoni FINCA" team.

Central Asia in Beijing’s focus: what are the interests of the Celestial Empire in the region and Tajikistan?

Against the backdrop of global rivalry, China is strengthening its influence in Central Asia, and Tajikistan is becoming one of Beijing's key partners in the region.

The number of marriages and divorces decreases in Tajikistan

The highest number of marriages and divorces occurs in the Sughd Region.

Tajikistan improves its position in the budget transparency ranking

The level of government financial transparency still remains below the international standard.

Wildberries invites entrepreneurs of Tajikistan to business meeting in Dushanbe

Participants will be able to learn about opportunities for entering the largest marketplace, online sales tools, and the prospects for e-commerce development in the region.