Powerful quake jolts China’s Sichuan province, leaving at least 13 people dead

Media reports say a powerful quake jolted China’s Sichuan province on August 8, leaving at least 13 people dead. Chinese state-owned news agency Xinhua says death toll from a 7.0-magnitude earthquake that struck a remote area in southwest China's Sichuan province Tuesday night has risen to 13. As of 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, the earthquake had […]

Asia-Plus

Media reports say a powerful quake jolted China’s Sichuan province on August 8, leaving at least 13 people dead.

Chinese state-owned news agency Xinhua says death toll from a 7.0-magnitude earthquake that struck a remote area in southwest China's Sichuan province Tuesday night has risen to 13.

As of 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, the earthquake had reportedly also left 175 others injured, the information office of the provincial government was cited as saying by Xinhua. 

Quoting the US Geological Survey (USGS), The Telegraph News reports an earthquake measuring 6.5 in magnitude struck a remote and mountainous part of the southwestern province of Sichuan on Tuesday, killing 13 people and trapping 100 tourists in a popular scenic spot.

The quake hit a sparsely populated area 200 kilometers west-northwest of the city of Guangyuan at a depth of 10 kilometers, the USGS was quoted as saying.  

The Sichuan earthquake administration said the epicenter of the tremor was in Ngawa prefecture, largely populated by ethnic Tibetans, many of whom are nomadic herders.  It was also close to the Jiuzhaigou nature reserve, a popular tourist destination.

A local government official reportedly said the death toll had risen from five to 13, with 175 injured.  Sichuan's government added that 100 tourists had been trapped by a landslide.

Sichuan government spokesman Chen Weide said it was unclear at present what had happened to them and whether they had been buried or were just trapped by a blocked road, according to The Telegraph News.

Chinese state-owned news agency Xinhua said the reception area in a hotel had collapsed, trapping some people, but that 500 had already been safely evacuated from the building.

Xinhua notes that a French man and a Canadian woman were injured in the Tuesday earthquake.  Maxence Vallon, 18, was reportedly wounded in both legs; while the Canadian woman, who declined to be named, suffered slight injury in the head.  Both are being treated at the people's hospital of Jiuzhaigou county.

Exact number of casualties of foreign nationals in the disaster is not available yet, according to Xinhua.       

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Оби зулол

Most Read

Recent Articles

Tajik citizens reminded of new entry requirements for travel to Russia

And about registration through the RuID mobile application

Who Most Frequently Takes Bribes in Tajikistan’s Healthcare Sector?

A large-scale survey showed that maternity hospitals most often demand bribes.

New routes and bright impressions: the Second Domestic Tourism Development Festival held in Tajikistan

As part of the festival, a correspondent from "Asia-Plus" set off on the tourist route Dushanbe — Rasht.

Kazakhstan becomes the first in Central Asia to launch an artificial rain project

Kazakhstan is implementing artificial rain technologies following the example of the UAE.

The history of partnership: how Asia-Plus and Obi Zulol together create urban traditions

The joint actions of "Asia-Plus" and "Obi Zulol" gather thousands of people and evoke a lively response even among Tajikistanis abroad.

Tajikistan and Russia discuss expansion of economic cooperation

The Prime Minister of Tajikistan noted that Russia remains a key partner for the Republic of Tajikistan.