Russia fears 110 dead as boat sinks on Volga River

DUSHANBE, July 12, 2011, Asia-Plus — About 110 people, many of them children, are feared dead after an old tourist boat sank in central Russia, the BBC reported on July 11. Around 80 were rescued on the River Volga in Tatarstan, about 750 kilometers east of Moscow. Thirteen deaths are confirmed, but reports say divers […]

Asia-PLus

DUSHANBE, July 12, 2011, Asia-Plus — About 110 people, many of them children, are feared dead after an old tourist boat sank in central Russia, the BBC reported on July 11.

Around 80 were rescued on the River Volga in Tatarstan, about 750 kilometers east of Moscow.

Thirteen deaths are confirmed, but reports say divers have seen numerous bodies inside the sunken vessel.

The double-decker Bulgaria was carrying 196 passengers and crew when it was caught in a storm on Sunday while sailing to the regional capital, Kazan.

The bad weather, mechanical failure on the 55-year-old vessel and overcrowding have all been cited as possible reasons why the boat sank.

The Bulgaria, leased by a local tourism company, was on a two-day cruise when it got into difficulty at about 2:00 pm on Sunday (1000 GMT), sinking within minutes at one of the widest points of the river.

Nearly 50 Russian divers were scouring the murky river on Monday and Russian media reports suggested they had seen many bodies inside the sunken ship.

Igor Panshin, head of the Emergencies Ministry”s Volga Regional Centre, was shown commenting on NTV: “The divers were tapping on the hull in hope of getting possible replies. Unfortunately, none came.

“They have now shone light into the holds and the restaurants, and they see that there are [dead bodies of] people inside.”

There was little hope of finding more survivors.  Emergencies Minister Sergei Shoigu ordered a search of nearby islands in case any survivors had managed to swim ashore.

The Russian authorities have launched a criminal investigation, amid suspicions that negligence contributed to the tragedy.

Russian media report that the boat was overcrowded and that one of its two engines was not working.  Investigators quoted by Itar-Tass news agency said that even before the boat had set sail from Bolgary to Kazan on Sunday one of its two engines had malfunctioned and the vessel had been listing.

The 80-meter boat sank several kilometers from the shore near the village of Sukeyevo, about 80km south of Kazan.  About 80 people survived the accident, most of them rescued by another pleasure boat that was passing nearby.  However, one survivor revealed that before they were finally rescued other ships had refused to come to their aid.

Around 30 children had gathered in a play area on deck just before the boat went down, said one survivor, who feared all may have drowned.

 

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана

Most Read

Recent Articles

Seven threats to water, land, and the future of Central Asia

From water scarcity and glacier melting to air pollution and food risks — Central Asia must seek ways to jointly address these issues.

Uzbekistan to raise electricity and gas rates

Electricity for the population in Uzbekistan will become more expensive than in Tajikistan, but relative to income, the burden on families in the neighboring republic is lower.

‘Asia-Plus is a positive image of Tajikistan and a tool for forming a full-fledged nation’ says Tajik scientist

A Tajik diplomat explained the significance of "Asia-Plus" for the government and why it should be bold.

The Taliban officially legalize child marriages: a bride’s silence is now considered a sign of consent

The new law allows marriages of underage boys and girls, and even not the closest relatives can negotiate the conclusion of such a marriage.

Tajikistan, Kazakhstan increase mutual road freight transport

The transport ministers of the two countries discussed the further development of cooperation.