Joint Taliban-ISIS attack kills dozens in the Afghan province of Sar-e Pul

Dozens of civilians and militia forces were killed in the Afghan northern province of Sar-e Pul in what officials on Sunday described as an attack by Taliban fighters teamed up with a commander claiming allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) terror group, according to world media reports. If true, the open cooperation between the militant […]

Asia-Plus

Dozens of civilians and militia forces were killed in the Afghan northern province of Sar-e Pul in what officials on Sunday described as an attack by Taliban fighters teamed up with a commander claiming allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) terror group, according to world media reports.

If true, the open cooperation between the militant groups, which have sometimes fought turf battles in the past, could be further trouble for the struggling Afghan government, The New York Times notes.

Up to 50 people, including women and children, were killed after the militants seized control of the Mirza Walang area in the Sayad district on August 5 following two days of intense gunbattles with security forces, Afghan officials said.

Mirza Walang is in a remote part of the country where both Taliban and IS fighters have a presence.

“According to our credible information, 50 people have been killed," Sharif Aminyar, the district governor of Sayad, said on August 6.

Aminyar added that 18 of the people killed had been members of the Afghan local police and other local government-backed militias, while the rest were civilians.

Mohammad Noor Rahmani, head of the provincial council, said at least 25 civilians were also missing.

Aminyar said that "it was a joint Taliban and Daesh operation," using the Arabic acronym for Islamic State.

"The Taliban were led by Mullah Nader and Daesh was led by Sher Mohammed Ghazanfar," said Mr. Aminyar.  “Despite several demands for air support and the special forces, the demands were ignored by central government. They told us the air force was busy in other provinces.”

Meanwhile, Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied any cooperation with the Islamic State on the operation and said local residents had misunderstood.  “Ghazanfar is not Daesh — he is our commander in Sar-e Pul, a very active commander, and he is under our command, our flag,” he said. “He has allegiance with us.”

The Taliban spokesman denied allegations of civilian casualties, and said only militiamen had been killed.

In the past, the Taliban and IS militants have fought battles against each other.  A combining of their forces, if confirmed, would present a worrying development for the U.S.-backed Afghan government.   

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана

Most Read

Recent Articles

By 2034, Central Asia will be more dependent on food imports

The population of the region will have increased by 14.5% by that time.

Somon Air expected to receive new Boeing-737 aircraft as early as the summer of 2026

Expanding the fleet with modern aircraft will improve the quality of passenger service and increase the route network.

Unexplored Khatlon: little-known treasures of southern Tajikistan

We will talk about interesting and unique places that have not yet become objects of mass tourist visits but have all the chances to become so.

Tajik citizens reminded of new entry requirements for travel to Russia

And about registration through the RuID mobile application

Who Most Frequently Takes Bribes in Tajikistan’s Healthcare Sector?

A large-scale survey showed that maternity hospitals most often demand bribes.

New routes and bright impressions: the Second Domestic Tourism Development Festival held in Tajikistan

As part of the festival, a correspondent from "Asia-Plus" set off on the tourist route Dushanbe — Rasht.