Units for Santuda-2 HPP expected to be produced two months ahead of schedule

DUSHANBE, November 26, 2008, Asia-Plus  — Terms of production of units for Iranian-built Sangtuda-2 hydroelectric power plant (HPP) in Tajikistan have been discussed at the talks of Energy and Industries Minister Gul Sherali with top managers of the Harbin engineering works, China. As it had been reported earlier, the Tajik minister was on a seven-day […]

Payrav Chorshanbiyev

DUSHANBE, November 26, 2008, Asia-Plus  — Terms of production of units for Iranian-built Sangtuda-2 hydroelectric power plant (HPP) in Tajikistan have been discussed at the talks of Energy and Industries Minister Gul Sherali with top managers of the Harbin engineering works, China.

As it had been reported earlier, the Tajik minister was on a seven-day working visit to China on November 17-24.  

According to the Ministry of Energy and Industries (MoEI), specialists from Iran’s company Sangab accompanied him on this trip and took part in the talks with senior representatives of the Harbin engineering works, which is manufacturing units for the Sangtuda-2 HPP.

The source at a MoEI said that sides had agreed that the Chinese company would manufacture the units for the Sangtuda-2 station in 20 months but not in 22 month as it was agreed last September.

During his stay in China, Gul Sherali also held talks with senior representatives of a number of Chinese companies, including Sino Hydro, TBEA and Uranium Company, to discuss issues related to cooperation in enhancing Tajik energy sector, using alternative energy resources, as well as exploring and developing ore deposits in Tajikistan, the source said.

We will recall that on January 12, 2005, Tajikistan and Iran signed a protocol in Dushanbe for Iran to complete the construction of Tajikistan”s Sangtuda-2 hydropower station.  During President Rahmon’s visit to Iran in January 2006, a number of agreements providing for Iranian assistance for several Tajik infrastructure projects, including construction of the Sangtuda-2 HPP, were signed.

Construction of the stationed officially commenced on February 20, 2006.  The estimated budget for construction of the Sangtuda-2 station is some 220 million US dollars, comprising Iran’s preferential loan of US$180 million provided for ten years at 5 percent annual interest, and US$40 million equivalent of the Tajik government financing.  Iranian company, Sangab, is constructing the station.

The rated capacity of the Sangtuda-2 station is 220 megawatt and it will generate 1 billion kWh of electrical power per year.  Once the power station is built, all the revenue over the next 12.5 years will go to the investor, and Tajikistan will become the owner of Sangtuda-2 after this period expires.

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Дидитал Бизнез Астана
Tenisi
Оби зулол
Оби зулол

Most Read

Recent Articles

The U.S. Senate votes to limit Trump’s military powers

Trump may need Congress's approval to continue the war with Iran.

EADB to finance the construction of the Labijar — Qalaikhumb highway in Tajikistan

The funds allocated by the bank will be used to construct 10 kilometers of road and three bridges.

“I sold ny daughter to a relative”: hunger in Afghanistan forces families to make extreme decisions

In Afghanistan, the humanitarian crisis is worsening: due to unemployment, drought, and reduced aid, thousands of families are unable to provide themselves with food.

Dushanbe to be protected from heat and floods

A project costing more than $10 million is set to modernize the capital's water supply, reduce flood risks, and prepare the city for climate changes.

The price per square meter of housing in Vahdat increases by almost 28% – Somon.tj

According to Somon.tj analytics, suburbs and regional cities are starting to grow faster than the capital, and the volume of offers in Dushanbe has reached record levels.

Tajikistan proposes to hold International Markhor Day in Dushanbe in 2027

Tajikistan informed the UN that the population of the markhor in the country has increased from 300 to over 7,000 individuals and proposed to hold the International Markhor Day in 2027 in Dushanbe.