Case of alleged Jamaat ut-Tabligh activist moves to court

QURGHON TEPPA, July 9, 2011, Asia-Plus — Criminal case of resident of Qurghon Teppa, Murodbek Qalandarov, has moved to a court in the city of Sarband. Tolibjon Azimov, a chief aide to the Khatlon prosecutor, told Asia-Plus Saturday afternoon, that      Qalandarov is accused of organizing a team of female agitators in Sarband for propagating ideas […]

Sayrahmon Nazriyev

QURGHON TEPPA, July 9, 2011, Asia-Plus — Criminal case of resident of Qurghon Teppa, Murodbek Qalandarov, has moved to a court in the city of Sarband.

Tolibjon Azimov, a chief aide to the Khatlon prosecutor, told Asia-Plus Saturday afternoon, that      Qalandarov is accused of organizing a team of female agitators in Sarband for propagating ideas of the banned Islamic movement Jamaat ut-Tabligh.  According to him, Qalandarov joined Jamaat at-Tabligh while he was still studying at Qurghon Teppa State University.

“Investigation has established that Qalandarov actively participated in many meetings of this organization and took an active part in strengthening of its positions in Khatlon province,” said the prosecutor.  “It was he that organized a team of female agitators of Jamaat ut-Tabligh in Sarband that later was called Masturot (an Arabic word meaning “hidden” or “closed”).”  

Murodbek Qalandarov is charged with public calls for violent change to the constitutional order of Tajikistan and his case has already moved to the Sarband court.

We will recall that radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reported on March 4 that four Tajik women accused of belonging to Jamaat at-Tabligh have been released from detention.  Sharofat Azizova, Dilfuza Hoshimova, Mavjouda Sattorova, and Zebuniso Pirkhonova were reportedly detained last year and accused of extremist activities and membership in Jamaat ut-Tabligh.  The Qurghon Teppa prosecutor’s office told RFE/RL on March 2 on condition of anonymity that the women have been amnestied and the criminal investigation into their activities was terminated.  The women, aged between 23 and 37 years, reside in the southern Khatlon province.  A lawyer who is well-informed about the case told RFE/RL the same day that the authorities could not prove any connection between the four women and Jamaat ut-Tabligh or any other extremist organization.

But Tolibjon Azimov from the Khatlon prosecutor’s office told RFE/RL on March 2 that the detained women are suspected of distributing antigovernment leaflets on behalf of a banned Islamic movement and of attempting to create a religious movement called Masturot.  Azimov suggested that Masturot could be the women”s branch of Jamaat ut-Tabligh, which Tajikistan”s Supreme Court banned in March 2006.  

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Оби зулол
Оби зулол
Дидитал Бизнез Астана

Most Read

Recent Articles

Tajikistan, Kazakhstan increase mutual road freight transport

The transport ministers of the two countries discussed the further development of cooperation.

Capsules with soil from the graves of the founders of Soviet Tajikistan were handed over to Sirojiddin Muhriddin

Nusratullo Maksum, Shirinsho Shotemur, and Nisor Muhammad are buried in mass graves at the Donskoye Cemetery in Moscow.

By 2034, Central Asia will be more dependent on food imports

The population of the region will have increased by 14.5% by that time.

Somon Air expected to receive new Boeing-737 aircraft as early as the summer of 2026

Expanding the fleet with modern aircraft will improve the quality of passenger service and increase the route network.

Unexplored Khatlon: little-known treasures of southern Tajikistan

We will talk about interesting and unique places that have not yet become objects of mass tourist visits but have all the chances to become so.

Tajik citizens reminded of new entry requirements for travel to Russia

And about registration through the RuID mobile application