Two border guards who fired at fishermen in Konibodom face charge of abuse of power

In a report released at a news conference in Dushanbe, the Tajik Main Military Prosecutor Safarali Mirzozoda noted on January 25 that two border guards who fired at fishermen in Konibodom (Sughd province) were detained and criminal proceedings have been instituted against them.  They reportedly face charge of abuse of power.   According to him, the […]

Asia-Plus

In a report released at a news conference in Dushanbe, the Tajik Main Military Prosecutor Safarali Mirzozoda noted on January 25 that two border guards who fired at fishermen in Konibodom (Sughd province) were detained and criminal proceedings have been instituted against them.  They reportedly face charge of abuse of power.  

According to him, the Konibodom city prosecutor’ office and the Sughd military prosecutor’s office are investigating the incident.  

Mirzozoda further added that according to the official statistical data, the number of crimes committed by military personnel last year decreased by 10 percent compared to 2016.  

Recall, a fishing trip of five residents of the Guliston settlement, which  is subordinate to the northern city of Isfara, to Konibodom has ended tragically.  One of them was killed and one another was seriously wounded as border guards fired at their car.     

The incident took place in the evening of January 7.  Five residents of the Guliston settlement – Qodirkhon Usmonkhojayev, Abubakr Boboyev and the Rahimov brothers Ghafourjon, Ghufronjon and Mirzobahrddin – were fishing in the Syr Darya River not far from the Mahram jamoat, which is subordinate to the northern city of Konibodom.  According to their relatives, when they were going to return home several border guards came and said that it was prohibited to catch fish in that area. 

The Isfara residents, for their part, reportedly said it was not banned to catch fish in that area and many people have been fishing there.  The men then got into their car and set out.  At this moment the border guards reportedly fried at the car.

As a result, Abubakr Boboyev and Qodirkhon Usmonkhojayev were seriously wound.  Abubakr Boboyev died in a hospital in Konibodom while Qodirkhon Usmonkhojayev is still in a serious health condition. 

Meanwhile, according to a statement released by the Main Border Guard Directorate of the State Committee for National Security (SCNS) on January 23, the border guards have fired at fishermen after the latters have attempted to escape.

The statement says the report about the January 7 incident released by some media outlets does not correspond to the facts.  

Border guards on a routine patrol stopped the car VAZ 2107 (number plate 3827 KK 02 RT) with five members on board not far from the Mahram settlement on January 7 at 9:20 pm for the purpose of knowing what they are doing in the area located in the immediate vicinity of the border, but the driver tried to escape for unknown reasons and hit one of the border guards, according to the statement.  

The border guards reportedly fired a warning shot into the air but the driver did not stop and they were forced to fire at the car.  

“Two persons were wounded and one of them – Abubakr Boboyev, unfortunately, died in the hospital on January 17,” the statement said.      

Join us on social media!

Article translations:

Related Article

Дидитал Бизнез Астана
Оби зулол
Оби зулол

Most Read

Recent Articles

The U.S. Senate votes to limit Trump’s military powers

Trump may need Congress's approval to continue the war with Iran.

EADB to finance the construction of the Labijar — Qalaikhumb highway in Tajikistan

The funds allocated by the bank will be used to construct 10 kilometers of road and three bridges.

“I sold ny daughter to a relative”: hunger in Afghanistan forces families to make extreme decisions

In Afghanistan, the humanitarian crisis is worsening: due to unemployment, drought, and reduced aid, thousands of families are unable to provide themselves with food.

Dushanbe to be protected from heat and floods

A project costing more than $10 million is set to modernize the capital's water supply, reduce flood risks, and prepare the city for climate changes.

The price per square meter of housing in Vahdat increases by almost 28% – Somon.tj

According to Somon.tj analytics, suburbs and regional cities are starting to grow faster than the capital, and the volume of offers in Dushanbe has reached record levels.

Tajikistan proposes to hold International Markhor Day in Dushanbe in 2027

Tajikistan informed the UN that the population of the markhor in the country has increased from 300 to over 7,000 individuals and proposed to hold the International Markhor Day in 2027 in Dushanbe.